1. PURPOSE. This circular is a reissuance of guidance on the administration and preparation of grant applications for the Formula Grants for Rural Areas Program under 49 U.S.C. 5311. This revision incorporates provisions of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21; Pub. L. 112-141 (2012)), and includes the most current available guidance as of the date of publication.
2. CANCELLATION. When final, this circular will cancel FTA Circular 9040.1F, “Nonurbanized Area Formula Program Guidance and Grant Application Instructions,” dated April 1, 2007.
a. Federal Transit Laws, Title 49, United States Code, Chapter 53.
b. 49 CFR 1.51.
4. WAIVER. FTA reserves the right to waive any provisions of this circular to the extent permitted by federal law or regulation.
5. FEDERAL REGISTER NOTICE. In conjunction with publication of this circular, FTA published a notice in the Federal Register on October 24, 2014, addressing comments received during development of the circular.
6. AMENDMENTS TO THE CIRCULAR. FTA reserves the right to amend this circular to reflect changes in other revised or new guidance and regulations that undergo notice and comment without further notice and comment on this circular. FTA will post updates on our website at www.fta.dot.gov. The website allows the public to register for notification when FTA issues Federal Register notices or new guidance. Please visit the website and click on “Connect with FTA” for more information.
7. ACCESSIBLE FORMATS. This document is available in accessible formats upon request. To obtain paper copies of this circular as well as information regarding these accessible formats, call FTA’s Administrative Services Help Desk at 202-366-4865. Individuals with hearing impairments may contact Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339 for assistance with the call.
For the complete contents of the guidance, go to http://www.fta.dot.gov/documents/FTA_Circular_9040_1G_with_index_-_Final.pdf.